History. Established in 1903

For many years the area was regarded as a place for picnics and holidays, and families came from Wynberg, Noordhoek and Fish Hoek to camp among the milkwood trees for several weeks at a time over the Christmas season.

Kommetjie celebrated its centenary in 2003, but in reality 1903 only marked the first house being built here. For many years the area was regarded as a place for picnics and holidays, and families came from Wynberg, Noordhoek and Fish Hoek to camp among the milkwood trees for several weeks at a time over the Christmas season. Most of the first homes (along the Kom) were holiday homes only.

Many of the Kommetjie streets were named after families who first settled here, including De Villiers, van der Horst, Seeliger, Benning, Van der Poll and Kirsten.

Kommetjie Primary used to be known as Slangkop Public School and was opened on the 10th of March 1908.

Modernisation in the 1960s

Developments such as the provision of electricity, water from the Wemmershoek Dam and Ou Kaapse Weg contributed to greater housing activity in the 1960s. The village still has no aspirations to become a bustling business centre and residents enjoy the relaxed holiday atmosphere.

For those interested in reading in more detail about our history, we recommend John F Midgeley’s book Kommetjie, C.P. – its story.